Day 6: Free Day

Day 6: Free Day

Today was our “free day”.  We’d been to all four theme parks and Downtown Disney.  Today was for going our own ways (each couple did their own thing) and experiencing all of our personal favorites from the trip.

Kayla and I slept in until 9:00 and took the bus to the Magic Kingdom at 10:00am.  It was a very foggy morning, which turned into a mist.  We donned our disposable ponchos and headed right to Splash Mountain, which had no wait.  I reaffirmed my approval of the new lap bars, which provide a comfortable elbow rest and give the feeling of MORE space in the log, since they removed that giant padded “dash board”.

Even with the ponchos, we still got wet (mostly our heads and hair), so we dried off on the runaway mine train next door (again, no wait).

We hopped on the WDW Railroad at the Frontierland station and rode around to Mickey’s Toontown Fair, for the last time ever. I say this because it closes for good this coming Friday, to make room for the new circus themed portion of the expanded Fantasyland.

Since it was still misting and getting a little damp, we decided it was time for lunch. We visited Sonny Eclipse at Cosmic Ray’s Starlight Cafe – one of my favorite Quick Service stops – and had a nice meal with a free concert.  I finally got my bacon cheeseburger!

Our free day to-do list included more drops on the Tower.  We enjoyed a few drops, without waits, grabbed a Fastpass (just in case) and then walked around the park to take some more photos.

We ended up at the Animation building, where we took a class on how to draw Sorcerer Mickey, just like a real animator. I have to say, for two non-artistic people, we both did a darn nice job. We’ll post our works of art on our facebook page later this week.

It was time to use our Fastpass for Tower.  It proved unnecessary because we were ALL ALONE on our elevator! We got our very own elevator, sat in the front row, and actually bought the on-ride photo. When else are we going to have our very own elevator on the Tower of Terror?

Kayla needed to use a snack credit, so she got a yummy treat at Starring Rolls Cafe. She ate most of it on the way to the bus, which we rode back to the hotel for a little break.

After a quick shower (it had gotten a little humid after the rain), and a fresh set of clothes, we headed back to the Magic Kingdom – my favorite park!  I used a snack credit to get my traditional popcorn from the vendor just inside the west entrance tunnel, and Kayla got a root beer float from the Aloha Isle in Adventureland.

After replenishing, we joined 999 Happy Haunts on one of our favorite attractions in all of WDW.  We had obtained a Fastpass for Big Thunder Mountain Railroad after we rode it in the morning, so we used them now. We passed a 20-min standby line and walked right on.

We crossed the park to Tomorrowland where we took a little nap on the Tomorrowland Transit Authority PeopleMover.  By the time we disembarked, it was time to check-in for our flight home the next day. I called AirTran and upgraded to Business Class using the credit in our account.  That always makes for a nice trip home (or so we thought…stay tuned for tomorrow’s report).

It was time to take a tour of the Monorail Resorts, so we hopped on their highway in the sky and stopped off at the Contemporary to take some pics. Then we headed to the Polynesian, where we met my brother and sis-in-law for dinner at Ohana. DELICIOUS!  Kayla booked our reservation just right so that we were watching the Wishes fireworks show from our near-window table while eating our dessert.  They pipe the Wishes music into the restaurant to add that extra bit of magic.

We rolled out of Ohana and walked to the Transportation and Ticket Center, which is just down the path from the Polynesian.  My brother and SIL went back to the MK to catch a bus back to the resort. Kayla and I hopped on Tronorail and sped off to Epcot. We scurried back to World Showcase as soon as we arrived and got a spot for Illuminations right when the torches blew out. Perfect!

After a magical show, we let the vast majority of the crowd ooze toward the park exit, and then we started a slow stroll around World Showcase. The park had closed for the evening, but it was Extra Magic Hours. It was almost like we were alone in World Showcase, which is extra magical at night with all the twinkling lights, music, cool breeze and smells.

We had hoped to take our first ever nighttime spin on Test Track, but the wait was 45 minutes. No thanks (yeah, we’re spoiled by touring in the off season and never standing in line)! So, we walked onto Spaceship Earth and said our goodbyes to Epcot.

After a bus ride back to the resort, it was time to pass out.

Scroll Up