Tower of Terror Celebrates Sweet 16 Today
That’s right, it’s been 16 years since the Tower of Terror first opened at Disney’s Hollywood Studios (then Disney-MGM Studios) – on July 22, 1994.
After becoming one of the most popular attractions in all of Walt Disney World, it influenced similar versions at Disneyland, Disneyland Paris, and Tokyo Disneyland.
Over the years, the Tower has adopted several “nick names,” each bringing with it new special effects and drop sequences. They include:
- July 22, 1994: “The Twilight Zone Tower of Terror” (original version)
- 1996: “The Twilight Zone Tower of Terror – Twice the Fright”
- 1999: “The Twilight Zone Tower of Terror – Fear Every Drop”
- 2002: “The Twilight Zone Tower of Terror – Never the Same Fear Twice”
- 2010: “The Twilight Zone Tower of Terror – Summer Nightastic”
Summer Nightastic is almost over, and nobody is sure what that means for the current version of the Tower. Will it revert to it’s previous state, or will there be even more enhancements? What’s going on behind those black curtains in the 5th Dimension? Check back often, because we’ll report with updates.